ABOUT MY PRACTICE
I am a licensed mental health counselor as well as a registered art therapist, meaning I am trained and certified in two separate disciplines that complement each other. I work with adolescents 10 and up, and adults. My main specialties are anxiety, trauma, and cultivating resiliency and confidence through compassion and acceptance. I also do coaching, consultation and training for therapists, executives, businesses, non-profits and universities. Some of my main beliefs and messages are:
- I am a direct, open, transparent, and nurturing person who believes that healthy relationship is the basis for healing and growth.
- I am invested in helping people and organizations thrive through cultivating psychological safety and emotional intelligence.
- I welcome marginalized individuals who may feel that they are not heard or respected in other spaces, diversity and inclusion are important to me.
- I am both professionally and personally invested in reducing the stigma of mental health treatment and issues—no one has to hide or cope with their stress and pain alone.
When choosing a counselor, it is important to have the right fit in personality and style. I believe that the therapeutic relationship is the foundation to the work being explored. I offer a free 30-minute phone consultation to explore a potential fit for both of us. You can find more details on the business side of things here.
When getting to know each other, we will decide together what kind of modalities and interventions will be most helpful for you. The core skill sets I use in my work are:
- Trauma-informed practices
- Mindfulness and meditation
- Evidence-based methods from DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy) and CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy)
- Neurobiological approach and psychoeducation
- Techniques from body-centered psychotherapy
- Art-based interventions (It is important to understand that while my office is an art studio and I am an art therapist, not everyone makes art in my office.)
Besides the therapeutic relationship and trust, I focus on the ability to care for and soothe ourselves in healthy ways and to learn new ways of identifying needs and feelings and communicating them in the world. Therapy can even be fun, and I intentionally bring humor and joy into the room to build on the health and strength that is already there inside of each person. You can read more about my theoretical orientation to counseling here.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Cultivating health and compassion
- Mindfulness and meditation
- Coping with being a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)
- Growth Mindset
- Team Cohesion
- Authentic Leadership
- Psychological Safety
- LGBT support
- Child and adolescent development
- Parenting and attachment issues
- Grief and loss
- Anger management
- Life transitions
- Mid-life malaise
- Women’s health and journey
- Trauma specialties:
- Childhood and adult traumas, including sexual and physical assault or neglect.
- Vicarious trauma and burnout for helping professionals.